Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Trade speakers

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Roland N R's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2003
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Pizzazz:

    For home use the model 19 vented cab is usually better with deeper bass etc. The A7 cab does not go below 50 Hz, is MR prominent ands does better in bigger rooms since designed for projection to 500 people in theaters. Sometime dreams and reality are just that. I have five A5-7 and actually one empty MDF cab in Miami. If you still want cabs let me know and I will see what I can do. By the way the built in subwoof mod with 18" JBL suggested a while back converts this cab to 20Hz-20Khz !!

  2. #12
    Inactive Member pizzazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dear Roland

    I understand about the room size. The room
    my 19s are in is 19x27. my shop is 22/44,
    so I believe I have the space needed.

    I am wanting a pair of cabinets that are in
    good condition, complete with decals, and not
    scratched up, made from 3/4 plywod.

    I have a pair of 416's and 511 horns and drivers
    to use.

    Curious; what are you doing with so many A7's?

    Anyway, maybe we can come up with some sort of
    exchange; say cash for cabinets!


    Mike

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Roland N R's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2003
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Pizzazz:

    Room size is good.

    Plywood cabs are old vintage usually somewhat beat up, in high demand and go real fast. On the other hand a DIY build is a pain and will never be original. You are in Coccoa beach near NASA a few hundred miles away. What are you looking to spend presuming they can be located?

    Reason for so many cabs is I am designing a retro recording studio using old tube gear, tube RTR, tube micpres. Also with modern components kind of the best of the old and the best of the new so 5:1 surround mixing is a possibility either via A7 x5 or 604 duplexes.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Fitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Building your own set of A7's is not all that difficult. I made a pair for a rock & roll band when I was in High School years ago and swore I'd have a pair of my own some day. About 4 years ago I got out my plans, built a pair and have been enjoying them ever since. I would be glad to send you a set of plans if you want to try your hand at it.

    Regards,

  5. #15
    Inactive Member pizzazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Howdy Gang!

    Making my own pair is a last resort. The shame of
    it is, I do wood working for a hobby, and I would
    want to do these correctly. Also, the flares
    are difficult to execute properly.

    I just have a hang up on wanting an original
    pair, complete with gray paint and decals! It
    would save me a load of time!

    Yes, I am by the Space Center, so I could drive
    anywhere in Florida to pick up a pair!

    Mike

  6. #16
    Inactive Member pizzazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Roland...

    I did not answer your inquiry...

    Comparitive to new materials, I believe
    $200 per cabinet is a fair price if
    they are in good condition.

    I also have several 811 horns (no drivers)
    that I might throw in to sweeten the pot!

    Mike

  7. #17
    Inactive Member pizzazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Howdy!

    Here is what I understand:

    First A7 cabinets were made of 5/8 ply. They
    had to be made stronger due to vibration, so
    they went to 3/4 ply. Eventually added the
    vertical supports to the backs of the cabinets,
    on the outside, because the cabinets were favored
    by musical groups, and the connection/crossover
    needed protection when the cabinets were being
    moved around. MDF followed. The only reason I
    can think of is for sonic purity. Plywood has voids, where MDF is a "solid" composite. Usually
    MDF is much heavier than plywod due to its inherit
    density.

    M.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member Roland N R's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2003
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Pizzazz:

    Sorry to inform you my sources do not have any empty 825-828 cabinets available. The DIY approach is still available if you can not locate them. May I suggest making the cabinet and flares of 3/4" baltic plywood or at least oak.

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    >am wanting a pair of cabinets that are in
    good condition, complete with decals, and not
    scratched up, made from 3/4 plywod.
    ====
    Hmm, I've never seen an 825 or 828 cab in 3/4" plywood, they were either 5/8" ply or 3/4" MDF.

    GM

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    >Here is what I understand:
    ====
    Ok, here's what I know: forums

    As late as the 828B cab, the updated version of the 825B for the then new prosound 1208B, was still 5/8" plywood even though the cut sheet says it's 3/4". As late as 1974, Altec was still shipping the palletized A7-8/A7-500 with 5/8" plywood 825Bs to the local CMC Stereo retailers.

    Admittedly, all the 1208s I was around were early units so they may have just used as many 'old' parts as they could to get them out the door since the competition from JBL/CV had really heated up, and CMC may have had a corporate deal going to cut costs, but I've never seen a 3/4" plywood factory made A7 cab, which of course doesn't mean they didn't finally start producing them. If they did finally make good their claim, I was hoping someone who had seen and/or owned one would confirm it.

    BTW, the rear stiffeners/one piece back were added for protecting the then new plate amps, if ordered. They had been using the passive N-501-8A for awhile and its recessed design didn't require protection.

    Regardless, whether 5/8" (or even 3/4" if the same construction is used) plywood or MDF, as delivered the cabs are pretty pathetic performers for HIFI apps., so I'm with Roland WRT to scratch building some out of something really stiff/well braced/damped that just happens to look like an 828G/whatever. Spray them with ANSI-49 industrial gray over a *****r coat and slap some decals on it for that ugly utility look. forums

    GM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.